- Self-motivated and goal-oriented Biochemistry Graduate having 8+ years of formal education in Biochemistry and expertise in protein engineering work.
- Passionate about learning new research techniques and the ability to work hard beyond office hours.
- Demonstrated experience in Protein and DNA isolation and analysis, site-directed mutagenesis and analysis of Hypocholesterolemic activities.
- Perform routine analytical testing on the line in compliance with the pre-determined sampling plan to ensure the quality standard of the finished product.
- Monitor and record of Brix, CO2, Acidity (TA) and Net content and perform their adjustment if needed to ensure the product quality within the specification.
- Maintain accurate records of the finished product quality and empty bottle analysis.
- Audit container ringers, air blowers, filters, warmer and primary and secondary coders to ensure their proper operations.
- Use analytical instruments such as pH meter, Refractometer, Torque tester, Magna-Mike, Polarimeter.
- Placed all the products and packages that fail quality standard on hold for further testing and review.
- Lead the line sanitation and deep cleaning duties as needed to ensure proper sanitation and cleaning of the production lines before start-up and during the production.
- Ensure micro samples are taken and plated on all production lines after full sanitation.
- Ensure producing safe products and applying key food safely attributes in areas of concern.
- Taught Science to grade 9, and 10 students
- Taught Social Studies to grade 4, 5, 6, and 7 students
- Motivated students and encouraged them to interact with the learning materials.
- Adopted distinctive methodologies (visual methods and practical experiments) to make students understand the lesson in a simplified way.
- Carried out group discussions, frequent written testing, quizzes, etc. to enhance their learning power and memory.
- Provided timely feedback to the students of their assessments, tests, and quizzes.
- Maintained up-to-date records of the attendance, assessment, planning, syllabus and exam reports.
- Encouraged students to take parts in different types of physical exercises and sports
- Designed mutation sites and primers for site-directed mutagenesis.
- Carried out site-directed mutagenesis on 8Sα globulin to introduce Hypocholesterolemic peptide; LPYPR.
- Successfully expressed, and purified the recombinant protein.
- Analyzed Hypocholesterolemic activity of the recombinant 8Sα globulin for cholesterol binding and bile-acid binding activities.
- Successfully accomplished introduction of the Hypocholesterolemic peptide, LPYPR, into the 8Sα globulin
- Successfully isolated and purified reductase from plant growth-promoting bacteria.
- Analyzed reductase using PAGE and its role in the formation of gold nanoparticles.
- Designed different enzymatic assays to identify the identity of the reductase.
- Estimated production of the indole-3-acetic acid by plant growth-promoting bacteria.
- Compared different intermediates of the indole-3-acetic acid pathway using thin-layer chromatography.
- Conducted substrate feeding assay for the determination of root of the Indole-3-acetic acid pathway.
- Isolated plasmid and Genomic DNA from bacteria found in pitcher fluid of Nepenthes.
- Amplified the gene encoding 16S rRNA using PCR.
- Analyzed bacterial community by conducting density gradient gel electrophoresis of the nested-PCR product of the gene encoding 16S rRNA
- Isolated and purified Major Storage Protein of Mungbean using gel filtration chromatography
- Isolated and characterized xyloglucans and lipids from Tamarind seeds
Master’s Thesis: Introduction of the Hypocholesterolemic Peptide, LPYPR, to the Major Storage Protein of Mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] Through Site-Directed Mutagenesis
Bachelor’s Thesis: Isolation, Purification, and Characterization of Protease from Different Parts of Choreospondias axillaries (Lapsi)
Relevant coursework: Analytical Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Metabolism I & II, Biomolecules I & II, Biostatistics, Biotechnology, Carbohydrate Chemistry, Protein Chemistry, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Plant Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II, Inorganic Chemistry I & II
- Cancer research
- Genetic engineering
- Membrane trafficking and signal transduction
- Molecular aspects of neurodegenerative diseases
- Isolation, Purification and Characterization of the Reductase for the Biosynthesis of Gold Nanoparticles by Plant Growth Promoting Bacteria, Nanobiotech Lab – UPLB-BIOTECH, Philippines.
- Isolation, Purification, and Characterization of the Key Enzyme Involved in the Synthesis of Indole-3-Acetic Acid by Plant Growth Promoting Bacteria, Nanobiotech Lab – UPLB-BIOTECH, Philippines.
- Microbial Community Analysis from the Pitcher Fluid of Nepenthes using Nested-PCR-DGGE Analysis of Genes Encoding 16S rRNA, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology Lab – IBS-UPLB, Philippines.
- Isolation, Purification and Characterization of Xyloglucans and Lipids from Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) Seeds, Biochemistry Research Lab – IC-UPLB, Philippines.
- Isolation, Purification and Characterization of Major Storage Proteins from Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) Seeds, Biochemistry Research Lab – IC-UPLB, Philippines.
- Upadhyay, S. K., Magar, R. T., & Thapa, C. J. (2013). Biochemical Characterization of Protease Isolated from Different Parts of Choerospondias axillaris (Lapsi). Biochem Anal Biochem, 2(135), 2161-1009
Workshops and Training Activities
- Seminar-Workshop on Basics of Molecular Biology held on 25th of November 2016 at Interactive Learning Center, NCAS Building, UPLB, Philippines.
- Short-term training on Molecular Genetics at Kathmandu Center for Genomics & Research Laboratory, Lalitpur, Nepal, January 26 – February 05, 2014.
- Short term 2-day workshop on “Refresher Course on Spectroscopic Techniques for Graduate Students” organized by Nepal Chemical Society, Kathmandu, Nepal, June 13 – 14, 2009.
Honors and Awards
- July 12, 2018: Best Scientific Poster Award (40th Annual Scientific Meeting, National Academy of Science and Technology, Philippines)